Estimated Effort2 Hours/week
About This Course
This course introduces the core concepts behind distributed SQL databases and describes how CockroachDB fits into this landscape. You will learn what differentiates CockroachDB from both legacy SQL and NoSQL databases, and how CockroachDB ensures consistent transactions without sacrificing scale and resiliency.
By the time you finish the course, you'll be able to describe the key functionality that brings people to CockroachDB:
- You'll learn about CockroachDB's seamless horizontal scalability.
- You'll learn about CockroachDB's distributed transactions with strict ACID guarantees.
- You'll be able to describe how CockroachDB ensures availability and resiliency of your data.
Detailed course outline
- Welcome to the Course!
- Chapter 1: Distributed SQL and CockroachDB
- A Brief History of Databases
- Quiz: Traditional SQL Database Features
- The Future of Databases: Distributed SQL
- Quiz: NoSQL vs Legacy SQL
- ACID Transactions
- Quiz: ACID Transactions
- CockroachDB: A True Distributed Database
- Quiz: CockroachDB Features
- Chapter 2: Resiliency and Availability in CockroachDB
- Cluster Concepts: The Keyspace, Ranges, and Replicas
- Quiz: Cluster Concepts
- The Raft Protocol in CockroachDB
- Quiz: The Raft Protocol in CockroachDB
- Availability and Durability in a Three-Node Cluster
- Quiz: Availability and Durability in a Three-Node Cluster
- Resiliency in Large Clusters
- Quiz: Resiliency in Large Clusters